Saturday, December 19, 2009

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

Ok it's not quite frightful yet, but according to the maps it's coming. I was a little disappointed tonight. I walked to Trader Joes to catch a little bit of the bread and milk action and the bread aisle was full, and people were civilly walking around the store. Epic fail, Boston, epic fail.

Here's the problem with city life. You are never really "snowed in." The T keeps running and your feet still work. When the store is within walking distance, why stock up?

I must say this has to be the most disappointing thing I have ever experienced. I mean don't get me wrong it is lovely to walk to the store in the snow when you realize you just ate your last two pieces of bread. It is also lovely to know that if the electricity goes out, the toilets and water will still work. Oh the days of melting ice on a kerosene heater, so the toilet can be flushed. Everyone in the house has to pee the minute the water stops running and a tub full of water last about one flush, maybe two. The joys of living in the country!

I don't miss all of the bad things that come with living on the top of the mountain, but I do miss the feeling that there is nothing to do, nowhere to go, and 3 acres of snow to play in once things slow down. The hot cocoa tastes so much better in this situation.

There is of course one thing about snow in PA that just baffles me. I am told this happens in other places, but it doesn't happen in Boston so I'm just going to talk about PA for a moment and you can all deal.

Milk and bread. It disappears with the first mention of snow. The stores might as well just set up bread and milk by the check-out to save people the time of walking through the store to find it. The baffling part to me is why milk and bread. There are a lot of things I eat on a daily basis. In the scheme of things, milk and bread really aren't high on that list. I suppose, in a family, bread and milk disappear quickly, and maybe I just don't grasp how important milk and bread really are.

I'm trying to excuse this habit, when I really think that stocking up on funfetti cake mix and hot cocoa would be a much smarter idea. Who needs bread when cupcakes are involved.

As this storm hits the Northeast, I really hope your stores are out of bread and milk and you have to buy that sliced Italian bread that no one ever buys. It really makes good french toast, which of course you can make with that milk you are buying. Out of milk, use water. Don't risk life and limb for the milk; it's really not worth it.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment