Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blast-o-butter

I was pleasantly surprised while opening a pack of Blast-o-butter popcorn that only 5 cups of the popcorn equals a full serving of whole grain. Ok pleasantly surprised might have been a strange word to use. I was kind of appalled. If anyone consuming popcorn that has enough fake butter in it to make the bottom of the bowl pool with yellow grease, thinks that said popcorn is at all healthy they should probably just stop eating right now.

I am not going to lie I tried to eat a whole bag of the popcorn so I could say I had a whole serving of whole grains, that and I was hungry. I am a little bit surprised though that it takes 5 cups of popcorn. Corn is a grain. You're supposed to get 48 grams of whole grains a day, according to the USDA Dietary Guidelines. That's about 3 ounces. I have no idea how the makers of Blast-o-butter popcorn got 5 cups out of 3 ounces. I guess they just tried jump on the whole grain bandwagon in an awkward way. Eating a bowl of cereal for a complete serving of whole grains is totally doable. A whole bag of buttery popcorn is going to give you a heart attack by the time you're 30.

Looking back on this decade in food, there have definitely been many crazy fads. Now everyone wants whole grains. Bread went from wheat to whole grain to 7 grain to enough-grain-that-there-is-no-bread. It's hard to forget the no carb craze. I think my mom lasted a week, but everything around that time was low-carb or no-carb. Of course low fat is always a good old stand by. I love when those disgusting sparkling waters say no fat, no calories. They just sort of ignore the copious amounts of fake sugar that will make you hungry within a few minutes.

I think the best food craze of all was the organic craze. A lot of people fell for the idea that mass produced organic food is any better than mass produced regular food. Buying from a farm is good. If the farm smells like poo, then it is probably a good farm. Whole Foods doesn't smell like poo, but your wallet will be empty by the time you leave.

I am hoping that the next decades aims at real food. I would love to see "Real Food" labels everywhere I go. I would love even more if there was "fake food" labels on food as well. Honestly I don't trust labels, so food manufacturers should start making light of the fact that food labeling has become a sort of comical thing, and in the new decade use their labeling to inform me that what I am eating is real or fake.

Tonight at 12 and 1 second it will be 2010. I can't wait. As I get older, the year seems to fly by faster and faster. I can't wait to see what kind of year 2010 brings. It's bound to be tasty.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment