Friday, December 4, 2009

Finals

It's the dirtiest F word that exists in the dictionary of all college students everywhere. Finals in high school were just pretend. Of course no one informed us of this. They just said "Look how prepared you are." LIES!!! No one could have prepared me for the weeks of work and the stress, oh the stress. The stress is the worst part. It eats away at you. Slowly surely and then all of a sudden you are in tears because of makeup.

Make up? Yeah I know it sounds silly, but it could have been an elevator not moving quickly enough. That last straw might be epic or it might be totally every day. You just never know. For me it was makeup. I forgot it. Then I blew my hair dry and of course it was sticking out in the strangest of ways. "I'M UGLY!!!!" Boy was I whiney. I'm normally not like this. I'm a fun exciting person. I cook and clean and buy Christmas presents. That is me; but this, guys this, is finals.

I normally resort to Ramen every night during finals. This time I am not allowed. In defense of the lack of salty easiness, I have been far more healthy this semester. I have been taking vitamins daily, and my meals have been involving real meat, a starch, and a veggie. Healthier is fine. In fact it's kind of nice during a school year that saw the oink oink flu and other unique illnesses.

Blah blah blah it's all well and good, but finals are a beast of their own. They are a time when the world poos on you and you can't do anything about it. Right of passage, if they aren't hard you aren't learning anything, yeah yeah yeah LIES! Finals are just one last form of torture adults feel they have a right to place us through. You know like the brussel sprouts weren't bad enough.

A finals menu? I have been thinking nonstop what I am going to eat. I know it sounds silly, but when you are stressing about so many things that you can not control those few things you can control tend to float up to the top of the stress list. So I have made a few executive decisions. That sounds so official doesn't it?

It sounds official because it is, and because I am in the middle of finals. So here's the list. You all know how I love lists.

1. I will have dinner every night.

2. Dinner will include REAL food. This is opposed to the fake food that will make me sleepy. I'm talking veggies for dinner and oatmeal for breakfast.

3. Dessert is not optional. Chocolate intake must increase during finals. If it doesn't there will be one unhappy Emily and probably a few other unhappy people who I come in contact with.

4. Breathe between bites. Such an important factor in a finals meal.

In the beginning of this semester I was worried about this blog. I was worried that I would not have time, but I have made it. I have survived without Ramen. It's all very impressive, but now comes the real test. Can I survive finals? All I know is that I'm a week into the process and the straw has already broke the Emily's back.

So over finals and school you can't even remember the stress I am talking about? We all have stressful moments. I think the 4 steps that are entirely necessary for finals meals are also good tips to live by. Everyone goes through stress. The key is to make sure that our tummies aren't too affected. Happy tummies always settle at least some of the stress. Now do I write my history paper on "The Other" in Seasons of Immigration to the North or do I do it on the fact that it is a reverse of the typical colonial opinion of natives. Oh the dilemmas.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment