Sunday, December 20, 2009

Learn to cook

This time of year always separates the cooks from the oh-I-brought-drinks. My Uncle Tony was always the drink guy when I was little. He wasn't going to cook, and no one expected him too, so he brought drinks. He brought seltzer water a lot, which kind of grossed me out; I didn't judge though.

In case you don't know this yet, life is a little different for men than it is for women. Men can get away with "bringing drinks." Women on the other hand get labeled immediately. I know this, because my mom and I gossip about it every year.

Before you go and label my mom and I, I'll tell you that we can be harsh. My sister and I are way more harsh, but we always have good reason. Women who don't at least attempt to cook are looked on in contempt by the Gonzalez women. We are not unreasonable though about our contempt. All you need to impress us is one good dish. If you can contribute one good piece of the meal, you're golden. We are a part of a rather large family, so a side dish will suffices.

If you aren't a part of my family and assume that you are not being judged when you attend your Christmas party and bring that box of Pepridge Farm cookies, you are seriously living in denial. You don't want to be known as that person.

The good news, it is not very hard to impress. Start with a dip. Everyone loves a good dip. Pick something easy and tell everyone you are trying a new recipe. Saying you are trying something new is like female code for "oh yeah I cook and I have my favorite recipes, but I just decided it was time to branch out." It is brilliant.

Christmas can be stressful with parties and events and family and last minute "oh no she's getting me a present" presents. The last thing you want is to show up to a party with drinks and have the equivalent of my mother and I criticizing you till the end of time. Be adventurous and venture in your kitchen. You may be shocked at how much fun you have once you are there.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

2 comments:

  1. totally love what you wrote! it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete