Sunday, August 16, 2009

That flavor will turn your mouth blue, but it's so worth it


Lies, all lies! Tonight I went to an ice cream place with my sister. My mom thinks I don't get out enough or something, so she said I should go. I learned something about myself tonight while eating a bright blue ice cream that was "flavored" cotton candy: I find nothing more disappointing than bad ice cream. Now don't think I am an ice cream snob. I buy store brand ice cream all of the time, and it tastes like I expect it to taste. I have also had excellent ice cream. When I was in Bar Harbor, Maine there was a tiny ice cream shop that made all of their own ice creams and sorbets. Champagne apricot, strawberry basil, and coffee were just a few of the flavors that I fell in love with whenever I treated myself to a scoop of ice cream.

Back to the ice cream place in PA. I ordered the bright blue cotton candy with the hopes that it would shock me with flavor the way it shocked me with color. On the contrary the color was far more illustrious than the flavor would ever be. My first bite might have had a hint of cotton candy, or I might have just hoped the flavor into my mouth. It was bland, kind of tasted like milky ice. The headache I got from eating it instead of dinner made me wish I had followed my gut and gone to Wendys instead. So if you are ever in Coopersburg, PA and are thinking of enjoying some ice cream refrain from pulling into The Inside Scoop. It's not worth the price or bad ice cream.

This must just have been a bad weekend for trying new things for my boyfriend and I. Matt wanted a hamburger really bad yesterday. Matt and I both have a healthy love of fast food. I know some people who turn up their noses when I say that, but you know what every now and then I need a good greasy burger with fries and a soda. I knew Matt's burger craving would lead him to McDonalds so I asked him if he would be willing to try something new for me. He was completely up for the challenge. I had been curious about their new angus burger ever since I had heard about it from a line cook at work. He was impressed, so I had high hopes(I'm beginning to doubt my high hopes as I write this).

The burger looked impressive as you can see. Matt picked the bacon cheese burger, which is actually the first bacon burger McDonalds ever put on their menu. (The actual Angus burger collection were the first new burgers McDs had put on their menu since 2001.) The label bragged 1/3 lb. Angus beef patty, American cheese, bacon, pickles, red onion, ketchup, and mustard. It rounded out at 790 calories 39 grams of fat. It sounds good so far right?

The final word on the burger and I quote," It tasted like Burger King. Next time I'd just go to Burger King." The taste test obviously didn't quite match up. Matt felt the burger was kind of dry, more like a grilled Burger King hamburger. I am not sure how this happened, because McDonalds doesn't grill their burgers. Maybe it was the Angus, but I am not a real meat expert so I'm going to have to leave this mystery to the experts.

Epic fail of a food weekend for Matt and me. I hope you all had better luck. Tomorrow is my cake testing. The bride-to-be actually informed me tonight that she doesn't really like cake and her fiance is the one excited. I don't even think something that sad deserves a comment. So with that and my bad ice cream headache I am going to call it a night.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment