Sunday, August 23, 2009

The ants come marching one by one hurrah hurrah...

This morning I woke up to an "eeeew" in the kitchen. That's normally not a good sign. Ever since we got a brand of puppy chow that had a "breathable" bag; somehow the breathable weave attracted a steady stream of sugar ants(I think they call them sugar ants, because they're the pretty tiny ants). We dealt with that problem, but for some reason the ants just weren't going away. Last night my mom's family came over, and we had chocolate zucchini cupcakes left over. My mom wrapped them and put them on the counter; well when she woke up this morning the cupcakes were COVERED in sugar ants. I guess the few ants that were scurrying around had smelled the food and decided it was time to have an ant party. Unfortunately for them they went out with the cupcakes in the trash, which I still find slightly unfair because they get to eat the cupcakes and I doubt their life is very long anyway; if you're going to go out, you might as well go out eating dessert.

I tried to do a little research to find out about these ants and pretty much it seems like all anyone cares about is how to get rid of them. Bugs like good food just as much as I do. My great grandfather used to pick fruit off of the ground and start cutting away the buggy parts. "If the bugs don't like it, it's probably not good." I don't know how many times he told us that. The tiny bit of apple he saved didn't really seem worth all of the work, but it sure did taste good(if you could get past the bug part).

After our bug dilemma this morning, I got dressed to go out with my family and I actually put my dress on inside out and wore it that way all morning long. I think it was just one of those days. The ants ate our dessert and I proved that I can't dress myself. A day like that deserves a little treat at the end of it, so me and my mom went out to buy Snicker's ice cream.

If I were to ever write an ode to a premade ice cream bar, the first bar I would write one for would be Snicker's ice cream bars. Please tell me that you've had one, because they truly are heaven in bar form. Peanuts, caramel, peanut butter ice cream all wrapped in a chocolate shell; it really is a beautiful thing.

In cake news the mother of the bride wants to try other vanilla cakes. The bride-to-be and the groom-to-be loved the cake, so I'm going to have to try to see if I can find another recipe that has a little less crumb(a pound cake has almost no crumb, while a typical white cake has a lot of crumb), but that the groom-to-be and bride-to-be like as much as the moist vanilla cake I made for them at the tasting. It is quite a challenge, but I think I'm up for it. I will keep you posted with recipes and the end result. Hopefully my mom's spraying of the floor and corner of the kitchen with bug spray got rid of all of the ants so we won't have to worry about sharing the cake.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment