Monday, August 17, 2009

Cakes, fans, and some much awaited corn pie

The cakes tasting went wonderful. My friend loved the cakes and they decided on exactly what they wanted. I had a little snaffoo with my vanilla cake. I think I added baking soda instead of baking powder. If you want to know what happens when you make that mistake imagine an awful sour aftertaste and you'll know what it's like. Thankfully I tasted the cake a good while before they came, so I had time to fix the situation.

Matt and I have been working on a facebook fan site for the blog and it's finally live. I am so thankful for all of the hard work Matt put into it. You can link to the blog posts, check out my twitter, enjoy some of my pictures, and have a way to write to me and send me topic ideas and even post recipes.


We also did a few things to revamp the blog. I am always talking about eating in-season fruits and veggies. On the side of the blog you can now see what should be in season in your area. This way you can eat better food. Of course you aren't going to always eat in-season food, but knowing what's in season might be kind of fun and make fruits and veggies easier to incorporate into your diet. Our logo is all new too. Matt messed with my pictures and some lettering and came up with quite a masterpiece. I hope you like it as much as I do.

I am not normally a fan of change, but these changes all seem to be helpful in making the blog prettier and more helpful. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'll talk to my technical person ahem Matt and get him to get right on it.

Without a doubt corn is in season right now. I know I have been promising this recipe and I'm finally delivering. Here is my mom's corn pie recipe. It will change your life.

For the crust use my 3-2-1 recipe and only cut it in half because you will need a full top and bottom.

3 cups of flour
2 cups butter/shortening/ fat
1 cup water

For the filling:
12 ears of corn - cut the corn off the cob
Hard boil 6 eggs - that's ten minutes

Procedure:
Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoon of sugar on top of the crust in the pie plate.
Cut eggs into small pieces. Mix corn and eggs. Pour into pie plate. Salt and pepper(to taste). Pour milk in till it's 3/4 of the way up the crust (or Mt. Crustette as my sister calls it). Cover with a top crust. Poke holes in the crust. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Corn pie tends to be messy, so be sure to place a sheet pan underneath the pie. If you want you can add sausage or meat to the pie; the Mennonite farmers always do to the pies they sell. We always preferred just corn and eggs (My mom told us they were marshmallows when we were little and we ate them up.). I hope you are enjoying some of the fresh produce that is all over the roadside stands in Pennsylvania.

Tomorrow I am going to the Jersey shore. It's my mom, sister, and my yearly pilgrimage. I'm hoping for some vinegar French fries and maybe some good ice cream.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment