Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here comes the bride and cake AGAIN

You can ask anyone who knows me well I hardly ever learn my lesson the first time. I blame this and many other quirky qualities on my mother. My dad has practiced with her over and over how to say the word no, but somehow she only seems to know how to say it when "she's up to here(hand goes over head)in paperwork and can't possibly do one more thing(like drop my sister off at her friends)." My sister also can never say no and I believe somehow no was erased from her vocabulary because she doesn't understand it either. I normally have a more balanced sense of the word no and try to frequently use it and practice it, but every now and then genetics kicks in and I just can't bring myself to use the word.

Sunday night a friend of mine stopped me and asked me if I would make her wedding cake. Well I guess her exact words were "I don't know anything about cakes." She's doing a night wedding with just dessert and her wedding colors are black, white, and red. It sounds like a dream to me, dessert, twinkling lights, and a beautiful wedding in her parents backyard. I wasn't one of those girls who planned out their wedding when they were five, but just hearing about her plans made me wish I was five and could plan my wedding(at 21 with a steady boyfriend planning your wedding is a tad bit creepy, 5 was a much better age for such things).

My friend handed me a picture of a cake they wanted and instantly I knew I could do one better. I was already scheming about this cake. She wanted it to be square, which is just so classy. It was going to be covered in white fondant with black ribbon and a bow around each layer and to top it all off red roses on the corners to add a punch of color. To add a little extra finesse I was going to do some filigree work on the sides of the cakes. All of this was just so much fun to imagine and talk with her about; then we got to the icky details.

She wanted no more than 200 people. Well that wasn't terribly icky, just a little bit scary because they were only serving cake so it wasn't a typical cake for 200 people it was a extra large cake for 200 people. This was going to take some work. Also their original date was June 19th, but they wanted to bump it up. June 19th sounded like a perfect day to me. It might be a little bit warm, so everyone would be happy sitting outside and the lightning bugs might even be out which to me would make this outdoor wedding even more magical.

Unfortunately moving it up meant I might not be home from school, so imagine me flying home on a Thursday night spending all day Friday and Saturday doing these cakes(which will be too large to fit in my parent's fridge unless we don't eat for a few days), and then flying back to school Sunday. I'm guessing this will be around finals week, but that is just a guess. I still don't know the exact day of the wedding but I am kneeling by my bedside every night and praying that it will be after Emerson lets out, so that I won't have to go through a stressful weekend whirlwind.

The other details about the cake are that she wants one layer to be vanilla, one to be chocolate, and one to be strawberry. I'm not really sure about strawberry as I have never seen a strawberry cake that has not come from a box, but stranger things have happened maybe I will fall in love with strawberry cakes. Her fiance is allergic to chocolate, so I am going to have to be careful regarding production. I do need to just take a moment and say that this poor man should be met with sad glances anytime anyone meets him. To be allergic to the best thing on earth is truly a tragedy.

You may be reading all of this and screaming at your computer. "Emily I remember the last cake. You were a mess. You said you hated cakes." Yes I did, but remember we are blaming this on my mother. I have a feeling 5 years from now my boyfriend will be doing no seminars with me just like my dad does for my mom. Actually I think he's already done them once or twice. I think I'll start yes anonymous. "Hi my name is Emily and I have used the word no twice this week."

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment