Monday, August 24, 2009

Bloggers are the new food critics and other things I learn from reading Business Week

Ok so maybe I lied I really didn't learn anything else from Business Week, but they did have a whole article about how bloggers really are changing the construct of the food criticdom(a word I totally just made up, so please don't try to look it up and call me out on it). I kind of hope that bloggers will change some things.

When I worked in Maine a food critic came in, announced himself as a critic and the whole kitchen was in an uproar. The salad he got was 2x bigger than our normal salads and had the perfect amount of toppings. For dessert we had to select the perfect piece of pie. I asked myself and the other cold line cook "Shouldn't be treating every customer as if they are a food critic? They are paying for this food too." The first change I hope bloggers make is to be anonymous enough that they can honestly critique the food. Every plate should go out worthy of a food critic; the restaurants that know and follow this have a loyal customer base.

Blogging is also has a more personal feel to it. If something tastes like garbage I will tell you GARBAGE!!! A food critic might use some flowery words to describe the food and how awful it is, leaving the general public wondering if the charred taste of bacon was a good thing or a bad thing. There is also more of an opinion base. Sometimes my mom and I agree with my Titi Stella when she likes a movie; most of the time we don't. How do you know if that food critic is your Titi Stella with not very similar tastes to you? A wide base of bloggers will leave you with more opinions to choose from, if they all say garbage!!! then I think you know that the place is not worth your time.

I can bet that all of the bloggers would be buzzing if there was a town where it the weather was food falling from the sky. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs has been adapted from the children's book written by Judi Barrett and illustrated by Ron Barrett into a 3D movie. I know it sounds silly, but how could you not want to go see a movie about food falling from the sky. I've seen the commercial for it and it looks fabulous. I wonder if food criticdom can become a part of movie criticdome; I think anything's possible with a blog.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment