Monday, August 10, 2009

Bon Apetit!

Tonight I grabbed my mom and sister and told them that we were going to see Julie and Julia. I am still floating on air. There are certain movies that you leave the theaters and feel like you just want to go do something; this was one of those movies. Maybe it was just because I am a baby blogger and a trained chef and I could relate to both of the main characters. Maybe it was because I love Amy Adams and Meryl Streep is a goddess. I don't know what the reason, but if I were a movie critique I would give this movie 5 thumbs up. I would probably have to borrow a few thumbs to do it, but it would happen.

Amy Adams' character of Julie was struggling to do something that would make her life feel more fulfilling. I couldn't help but relate with the feeling of trudging through life and doing things just to get by. I started this blog only because every newspaper in the area told me I did not have enough news experience to get their internships, but that I was uniquely qualified for an internship in their food section(only they didn't offer internships in their food sections). The beauty of Julie's blog was that she had a goal and a mission and A DEADLINE. She also had a supportive husband, which reminded me of my own supportive boyfriend who gets excited about every blog posts and always encourages my new goals.

Meryl Streep's character of Julia Childs was just so human. She made me want to move to Paris and fall in love with French food. At one point in the movie her husband asks her what she wants to do and she says that she loves to eat and that she's good at it. You had me at hello Julia, you had me at hello. The movie takes you through Julia's struggle of learning how to cook and the writing of her cookbook. The struggles she faced were just inspiring, there really is no other word. How does a tall bumbling American woman become an expert on French cooking? She wanted something and she didn't quit.

Cooking is so relaxing to me. Julie said in the movie that this was because cooking was something she could count on to always work. I don't know if that's why I like cooking, but I do know there is nothing like coming home from a bad day and making a batch of chocolate chip cookies.

I don't know where this blog is going to take me. Unlike Julie I don't really have a goal, but I do know that I am enjoying the adventure so far. I hope you are too, whoever you are out there.

I am also starting a new wedding cake project, so stay tuned for cake news. It's going to have to feed 200+ people and I'm going to have to do a tasting in the next couple of weeks. I already warned my boyfriend so he's ready for me to be a little stressed out, poor guy.

Happy Eating or as Julia would say Bon Apetit!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment