Thursday, August 13, 2009

The more intelligent like brussel sprouts?

I'm not so sure about this, but a study in Spain said that liking or disliking brussel sprouts may be an evolutionary thing. Supposedly there is a certain bitter taste in brussel sprouts that some people can taste and other people can't. The problem, the "neanderthals" they were studying had the ability to taste and some didn't. If you ask me this sounds like an inconclusive study. I suppose finding out that if you like brussel sprouts you are more advanced might be groundbreaking. Then again it really isn't. People have different taste buds. They like different things. That's what makes us individuals. And if you eat brussel sprouts simply because you think it makes you more intelligent, you are probably rather insecure. I'll eat a brussel sprout if it's cooked well, with brown butter, and is well seasoned; other wise I'll join the neanderthal group that would prefer to not eat brussel sprouts.

Speaking of neanderthals, the head of a county health department in Florida was forced to resign over a sign that insinuated that doughnuts were bad for you(umm duh). Dr. Jason Newsom had been fighting American obesity through snarky roadside signs for a while. Commenting on french fries, hamburgers, and sweet tea seemed to be acceptable, until Dr. Newsom put up the sign that read "America Dies on Dunkin." Supposedly a few high up officials in the town ran or had stock in doughnut shops and were not amused. Did they really think people didn't know that doughnuts are bad for you? On second thought nevermind, I agree, most American's probably are that stupid.

They can shut up Newsom, but they can't shut everyone up. "DOUGHNUTS ARE FRIED DOUGH AND ARE BAD FOR YOU!!!!" The fact that I know this does not mean that I don't enjoy a doughnut every now and then. The key to everything is moderation. I'm sure the good doctor would agree with me.

I'm not really sure if Rob, the sous chef, likes doughnuts; but I have finally figured out his taste in dessert. Rob like desserts that taste like regular food. This may sound a tad bit odd to my fellow dough hoes, but really he has made me a believer. Sunday he made a curry ice cream(literally there was an after heat in your mouth). With the curry ice cream he made an apple cake and he plated it with one of my coconut tuilles, some caramel sauce, and some toasted coconut. I have eaten many Indian dishes, but none have made me as excited at this dessert. It was both surprising and oddly delicious(I say oddly only because after hearing the description I skeptical).

Savory and sweet is like ying and yang to me. I can't eat a candy bar without grabbing some chips to enjoy with it. The only way I can enjoy a fluffer nutter sandwich is with a bag of salt and vinegar chips. Rob takes this concept and morphs it into something I can't say I have ever experienced done well until I started working at the country club. If you don't like buttered popcorn Jelly Bellys, then you should probably pass, but you will never know if you don't give it a shot.

Tomorrow is one of my favorite vegetarian's birthday. In honor of it I will be posting the corn pie recipe. (I'm afraid this is not a recipe for my favorite vegan as it has milk and eggs in it.) For those of you intelligent folks out there be sure to pretend to enjoy your brussel sprouts and remember no hating on the folks at Dunkin Donuts, they don't seem to like it much.

Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment