Friday, October 2, 2009

Why didn't I think of that?

I am so thankful for facebook and people who have randomly come across things then post them for all of their friends to see. It is a beautiful serendipitous moment when I look on my mini-feed only to find that someone won an Ig Nobel Prize because they found out that cows that have names produce more milk.

The Ig Nobel Prize is an award given to people who find things that make us laugh and then make us think. How brilliant of an award is that! And the scientist who studies cows deserves every last bit of that award because I laughed and thought. One of the possible reasons for the Edna (Edna seems like an ideal name for a cow) phenomenon, is the fact that the farmers who named their cows knew and paid extra attention to their cows. DUHHHHHHHHHH No seriously I love these scientists who found this out, because I felt like a little girl who just picked out the bright red gummy candy and found that it was delicious.

Speaking of candy I was reading the Metro this morning (I am not ashamed to say that I tend to love the shortened news source that is the Metro.). Anyway back to the paper. I was reading it and there was an article about a study that found kids that ate a lot of candy normally ended up being arrested for crimes as adults. Can I tell you how thankful I am that my mom created a one sweet a day rule for my brother, sister, and I. I mean seriously, less sugar is obviously the way to go (and you will not find me saying that very often, or ever again so treasure it).

I don't know where the one sweet a day rule came from. I just remember that, as a kid, we had to decide which sweet thing we would eat. A sweet could be a piece of candy, 3 cookies, a glass of soda, or a piece of cake if that was available. This rule may sound silly or overly healthy, but my mom instilled in me eating habits that would (when Hershey's chocolate is not involved) stay with me for the rest of my life. Eat things in moderation. Love them, savor them. When you only eat a sweet once a day, it is pure ecstasy when you pick that sweet and bite into it and realize that it was the perfect choice.

Kids who just gorge and gorge on sugar never experience that ecstasy. They are never satisfied I guess, in some ways. The study felt that the reason these kids who eat a lot of candy end up getting arrested was because of whatever is in their psyche that makes them want more and more. I guess my explanation is just a variation of the same thing.

Tonight I have not practiced the good eating habits my mom taught me. I have been kind of stuffed up the last week, and not very hungry. I roamed the aisles of Trader Joes in search of something I was hungry for. Boursin garlic cheese and a small baguette of French bread was all I could decide on. Well I did buy mini peanut butter cups and Chai tea mix, but the cheese and bread was to be dinner. Maybe it wasn't a complete balanced meal, but it was food so I was happy. Now I need to go make a mental note to make sure my kids don't over eat candy.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment