Tuesday, October 6, 2009

R.I.P. Gourmet Magazine

I am sure you all have heard by now that Conde Nast has decided to shut down Gourmet magazine. This news is obviously devastating. Gourmet magazine is a food icon that is going to leave a giant slice out of the chocolate cake of my life. Of course a celebration of everything they have done and accomplished is definitely in order. The new dilemma, who will take their place? Who is going to look for food trends? Who is going to find the hottest new items on the market? They say the internet is taking over print industries. I just don't know if any internet source is capable of doing the research Gourmet has been known for.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I have had the worst day. I know this seems rather egotistical of me to compare my bad day to the end of a magazine that probably supported close to a 100 employees. But I didn't sleep at all last night. I kept hearing this bang bang bang. I don't know who was being so annoyingly loud, but I silently cursed them and their children. Waking up seems like a silly thing to say of this morning, because I more or less just got out of bed. I was exhausted all day, but after last night's dinner of eggs and toast I needed to make a real meal tonight.

Luckily for me I had bought fresh pizza dough when I went shopping with Matt in Providence. I froze the dough, for a moment just like tonight. I was totally cheating by buying the dough, but really it's a great alternative. It came from Calisi's bakery in Rhode Island, so I knew it was made fresh and would taste good.

I am a big proponent of an easy everything pizza. I stretched the dough onto a sheet pan, and sprinkled it with garlic salt and Italian seasoning. I put some sauce on the dough. I'm not a really saucy pizza person, so not too much. I still had a little bit of the Boursin Garlic cheese left from my "meal" Friday night, so I crumbled that over the sauce, and then I filled in the rest of the spaces with mozzarella cheese. I had some ground beef that I had intended on using with the pizza, but I was more tired than I expected so I just fried up some frozen steak sandwich meat.

I baked the pizza at 400 for about 20 minutes. I was starving by the time it was done, so of course I burned the roof of my mouth on some hot pizza. It was terribly worth it. The pizza was not only delicious, but I also felt accomplished because I had actually made a real meal for once. Go me!!!

After a good 20 minutes of some phone time with my mom, I am feeling a little better about life. At least I don't have parent's of students harassing me by email. I love my mom. Terrible day for me today, terrible day for food yesterday. Over all it can only get better from here.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment