Friday, October 23, 2009

Dentist ruin everything

I work with a very exuberant theater education major at my work study job named Andy. I say overly exuberant only because last year he was taking this class where he had to pretend to be a 5 year old boy and he pretty much drove me CRAZY!!! I drove him crazy by feeling the need to alphabetize everything to be fair. But he's a good actor and having a 20 year old guy whining at you like a five year old boy...Oy Vey!

I found at a wonderful bit of information about Andy this week when I brought in Princess fruit snacks. I don't know of many people who would refuse such a fun, tasty treat. But Andy was overly excited about these fruit snacks. Supposedly Andy's mom bought him fruit snacks and fruit roll-ups until the dentist told her that they were bad for Andy's teeth. He went from enjoying all of the gummy deliciousness that he could, to being forced to drop the habit cold turkey. Ugh dentist ruin everything. But here, right here is the infuriating thing about Andy. I said out loud, being completely understanding to his horrible lack-of-fruit-snacks childhood, that dentists suck and his response.

"Well they are bad for your teeth." UGH!!! So I smiled agreed, made a comment about how this was probably especially true when he was young and growing in new teeth and bowed out of the conversation.

Yesterday was the opening night of the play Incorruptible. Andy was the lead role. It was totally a big deal. What did I bring Andy to wish him luck? Mom and dentists please close your eyes for a minute. PRINCESS FRUIT SNACKS!!! Yeah he was pretty excited.

Against my sleepy judgement (this play started at 8 and I didn't go home till 11; I'm totally normally asleep by 9) I went to Andy's play last night. I was so proud of my fellow work-study. He was amazing.

The play was set in this medieval monastery that got their relic stolen, or sort of stolen, by this jester (Andy). The monks then started digging up bodies and selling the bones as relics to make some money with Andy's help. Add in some of Andy's bad singing and fake bad juggling (he actually can juggle, but he faked being bad at it pretty well. It was hysterical, and the acting was wonderful. But of course my favorite part was this subplot about one of the monk's father, who was a baker. When times started getting hard in the town, supposedly this monk's father told his kids to add sawdust to the bread. Even when times got better, they kept adding sawdust until someone got a splinter and the diabolical plot was found out.

Sawdust in bread???? I really did wonder if I would be able to catch the difference in flavor. I guess it's the same texture? I guess we just never know what we're eating.

I spent the last 5 hours typing answers for my ethics midterm. Now I have 9 pages of typed notes to memorize before Thursday. I just made some peanut butter cookies, so I guess it's time to start the 10 page paper I was hoping to start earlier today. Always remember, you can do anything if you have some princess fruit snacks or peanut butter cookies at your disposal. Otherwise, good luck!

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment