Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How did I miss this?

I am a big proponent of candy holidays. What is a holiday without candy, really? But those holidays that are completely centered around candy...aaahhh heavenly. I walked into my work study job today and the registrar peeps were all having a meeting. The other work study looked awkwardly up from the computer. He had obviously sat down before the meeting and had no way to escape. I hid in the back office, eating goldfish and waiting for the meeting to be done; so of course I had time to be nosy and scan all of Amy's stuff (it was her office that I decided to take residence). I promise there is a point to this story. There wasn't much in Amy's office so I started carefully examining her calendar. And there on her calendar was a holiday on October 17th. It was called Sweetest Day.

What in the world is Sweetest Day? I asked the other work study, after handing him the note I started writing him, ("Dear Andy, Don't you like this pink paper? I think it's expensive because it's such a pretty color." - We hung it up. It really was a work of art.) what Sweetest Day was and he said it was probably just a joke. Amy took my question a lot more seriously; she wikipediad it for me (don't be a snob about wiki, because you know you would have at read what it had to say too). According to wiki(don't worry I did look up other sources to see if this info was correct), Sweetest Day was started out in Great Lakes area of the US. Candy makers in Ohio in 1921 gave out thousands of boxes of candy to orphans, poor people, and older people. It was a way to give back to people.

The idea of a Sweetest Day never really spread. I guess dentists managed to quash it. Honestly it seems like such a sad thing to me. Here is this adorable little holiday full of newly reformed Scrooges running through the streets passing out packages to all of the poor and needy passed every day, and no one knows about it!!! Why do all of the good holidays go unnoticed?

I'm not going to lie, I kind of feel like someone who has been given this amazing little present and now I get to enjoy something I never got to enjoy before. Saturday is Sweetest Day and, while it might not be a good idea to hand candy to homeless people in the Boston Common (doing such things normally results in injury or death; Bostonites don't trust nice people), I am going to have a nice little celebration, even if it means eating a cookie and yelling "Happy Sweetest Day" in the middle of Matt's apartment.

Since Sweetest Day is basically unknown, I might even make it a two day affair. While I'm in Providence on Friday writing the 5-7 page paper my history professor still hasn't given me the specs on, I might celebrate a little. Every page or so I may have to jump up and down and yell HAPPY SWEETEST DAY. I have a feeling Matt won't like the idea, so I'll probably have to whisper it until he leaves for work.

If you want a more streamlined food holiday for the weekend, you can celebrate National Chocolate Cup Cake Day on Sunday October 18th. It wasn't on Amy's Calendar and it has too long of a name to shout out and bounce around rooms. It also kind of restricts you to one sweet, but some people like to be a little more ordinary than me. I understand. I will be celebrating my virgin run of Sweetest Day, depending on my mood chocolate cup cake day might make my schedule on Sunday. We'll have to see. Either way it is looking like a busy weekend.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment