Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Life lesson number 3,456 : Always double check that you have your keys

And keep leftovers in the fridge.

My feet and dead. I am not over-exaggerating. They have died and if they were to come back to life they would probably SCREAM and tell you all how I abuse them and how I don't deserve them. My poor feet. The culprit today: my ballet flats. I love these shoes. They look perfect, they are mostly comfortable, and they match pretty much everything. The problem is that I've worn them down so much and the inside of the shoe by the heel is down to the inner workings of the shoe (They are funny plastic things that must build up the heel or something. They are really hard and kind of hurt after long walks). It's really terrible, but because it's the inside of the shoe and no one sees it I continue to wear the shoes. If I wear socks or stockings with them my feet don't hurt, but if I walk a few miles in them with no socks or anything my feet die.

Why did I walk a few miles today? I was so excited about getting an interview that I repacked my purse neglecting my keys. The good news is that I climbed the fire escape and found that all of our windows are hard to break into. Our neighbor's window really isn't (I am glad no one was home because I wasn't entirely clear on which window was ours and might have gotten their window entirely open before realizing it wasn't our furniture). Some more good news, my roommate Ariel is amazing and responded to my "PLEASE SAVE ME FROM SITTING OUTSIDE THE APT TILL YOU GET HOME AT 2 A.M." text, and let me go down to school to get her keys. The bad news, after schlepping to Harvard and back to my apt (about a mile each way) I had to schlep down to school one more time and then schlep back home. I was tired guys, really really tired.

When I got home all I wanted was food. I was tempted to stop and buy food, but my final piece of good news kept me from spending money on something fatty or greasy or not filling. I had leftovers. It is not often that I am excited about leftovers. In fact I am hardly ever excited. But today as I was walking home, all I could think about was how I would have a homemade meal in 1 minute and it wasn't in the freezer or a can. Because I'm cooking for one a lot, I tend to have a lot of leftovers. Sometimes I don't eat them and waste the food, but on a day like today when the bad news tended to bring me down a lot faster than the good news could make me feel better, it was so nice to know dinner was all ready to go.

I pride myself in being prepared. Every morning I wake up, make a lunch, eat breakfast, and leave for class so I will arrive 15-20 minutes early (just in case the T is late). I am neurotic about remembering my keys and locking doors. When I do make a mistake, the important part is solving the problem, right? If that's the case, I aced today. Unfortunately it didn't feel like that. At least I had leftovers; I'm always more prepared when I have a full tummy.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment