Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's candy corn season

I say this in case you missed the one aisle of the store COVERED in orange and black. You know the one right before the 3 aisles of Christmas stuff (WAYYY creepier than the talking skulls).

Anyway Saturday is Halloween and regardless of how you feel about this ghoulish holiday, I hope you are going to at least enjoy our families Halloween tradition, Reeses Peanut Butter pumpkins. In my family we never got dressed up, and we lived so far out in no-wheres-ville that no one even came to our door. Right around Halloween, during one of our weekly grocery trips, my mom would pick up the Peanut Butter pumpkins. I really can't explain to you how much this moment was looked forward in my life. We never got candy all to ourselves. If my dad brought home a candy bar, we all split it. This might be why the day I was on my own at college I would devour bars of chocolate, like I had years of eating only a few squares to make up for it.

There is of course another candy that is probably a better representative of spooky season. Candy corn was invented in 1880 by George Renninger for a Philadelphia candy company. Yeah Philly does it again, or did it again. Anyway it was an instant hit, because it looked like corn, Renninger actually made it to be the same size as a kernel of corn.

8.3 billion candy corn are produced every year with an impressive 80% bought/consumed in September and October. The funny thing is though, I really don't think that many people actually consume candy corn. It's the candy I always equate to a candy dish, and not the candy dish candy that actually disappears.

Put M&Ms in a dish and they're gone by the end of the night. Put candy corn in and yeah they'll probably get dusty. Now I may be totally off on this and people may really like eating tons of candy corn. I'm a fan of eating one or two pieces and thinking YEAH FALL and then moving on to the Reeses pumpkins.

Because I took my ethics midterm today and could tell you the 3 parts of Kant's categorical imperative, I am feeling a little philosophical. So what is it about candy corn that makes me try one or two pieces and then move on. I guess I'm really not a huge fan of candy corn. It's not like Hershey's chocolate. I don't really crave it. I just feel the need to eat it, like it wouldn't be Halloween without crappy candy corn. Yeah I said crappy; it's so crappy that I need to eat it when it's sitting in front of me.

Ok it's a fact, all of this ethics stuff really isn't applicable. I mean if I can't figure out why I need to eat candy corn (the important stuff) then what in the world is it supposed to teach me? Oh yeah, how to be so stressed you scream while crying at Matt because he called you 45 minutes later than normal (stress oh stress). My poor boyfriend is a saint.

Well I hope you find a candy dish with candy corn in it this Halloween. And remember you're only required to eat one or two pieces; we all know they're gross.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment