Monday, October 5, 2009

Is this how the rest of the world lives?

Beyonce sings about being single when she's not really single, so I can write about eating as a single person without being single, right?

Tonight for all extents and purposes I was a single eater. Normally I make a nice meal for Matt and I on Monday nights, so this was a bit of a change for me. Honestly I didn't know what to eat. I didn't need to create a masterpiece. I didn't need something with a meat, starch, and vegetable. I didn't have to consider if Matt likes what I'm cooking, or if he was going to say we should try something different next time.

"Emily you don't make meals with Matt every night. Is it really that hard for you to break a routine?" YES YES YES!!! It's not that it's a routine I have; it's more that Monday nights are the nights that I look forward to a good meal. Without Matt to make me want to make a good meal, I just am not into it.

I suppose if I were really single I would be used to not having anyone other than myself to make meals for. I also think that I would not often take the time to make a complete, balanced meal. Without company, cooking is just kind of like work. Even the eating of it is semi-anti-climatic. "How do you think it turned out?" "Wow it might just be your best meal yet Emily." "Why thank you Emily I thought so to." Yeah it really is not at all gratifying. How do so many people live like this?

I was really not hungry for lunch. I didn't have Matt sitting next to me ready to go out to eat. By 3 I was getting pretty hungry, so I made some macaroni and cheese my mom's way. I had 1/2 a bag of egg noodles, so I cooked some of them till just done. I drained them and put them back in the pot. I then added maybe a 1/4 cup of milk and whatever cheese I had in my fridge. Today I had cheddar and mozzarella. Normally my mom has Monterey jack; it is a staple to her grocery list. I put the heat on till the cheese was melted. I added salt and pepper, put it in the bowl, and ate it all.

For dinner I resorted to fried eggs and toast. Like I said I just wasn't feeling inspired. My normal day of a nice meal turned into my mom's last minute macaroni and cheese and breakfast for dinner. I think Matt shouldn't skip coming up on a Monday anymore.

For all of you who are wondering why Matt didn't come up, you should probably tell yourself to stop being so nosy. This weekend is a long weekend for me thanks to Columbus thinking that he discovered a short cut to India. Matt and I are going to make the trip up to visit his parents in New Hampshire. It will be a wonderful weekend full of apple picking, relaxing, and breathing in some fresh air. There will be plenty of cooking and baking and good food, so stay tuned for all of our New Hampshire fun. It should be worth my bad food Monday, but we shall see.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment