Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Wall Street Journal - Chocolate Edition

In case you are the last person to know (You were probably up late waiting on the Massachusetts senate race results; I understand.), Cadbury was finally sold to Kraft foods. AND it wasn't a cheap deal. Kraft must think the $19.1 billion is worth it. Those Cadbury eggs are pretty darn good, and it's almost easter, so they'll make all of that back in no time. Well maybe not in no time; that's kind of like saying winter will be over in no time. Boy wouldn't that be nice!

Turns out Cadbury makes more than those yummy eggs that line the shelves at Easter. They have strange looking candy bars and gum too! (You really have to check this out. http://www.cadbury.com/OURBRANDS/Pages/Ourbrand.aspx I think I want to fly to England and roam their factory. If you want to donate to Emily's Cadbury fund, feel free.)

From all my snooping I really have been impressed by Cadbury's web presence and openness about the deal with Kraft. They have every offer and all of their statements in podcasts, slides, press releases, and documents. Maybe they stuffed a bunch of computer nerds in a room with only cadbury eggs to eat till they finished everything. I would pay to have been one of those nerds, probably not $19.1 billion; but I would pay!

I tried a Ritter Sports Bar for the first time ever yesterday. I was quite impressed. I mean it's not a Cadbury egg, but it was good chocolate, creamy, not waxy. They are a little more expensive than my Hersheys bars, but definitely worth a treat every now and then.

While we're on the subject of chocolate, I would like to speak for two seconds on Valentines Day. You'll be hearing a lot more about this subject, but here is just a teaser. When buying chocolate, don't always go for expensive chocolate. Expensive chocolate can be extremely tasty, but there has to be something amazing about it to warrant the cost. Find me hot chili pepper truffles and I'll pay good money for them. Know your girlfriend or boyfriend's chocolate preference. One day someone gave me dark chocolate. I was not friends with that person for long. I'm going to get called out for this, but a majority of men like dark chocolate while a majority of women like milk chocolate. You know your partner better than me, but I'm warning you giving a milk chocolate girl dark chocolate is kind of like handing her a bag of dog poo. No one wants to eat dog poo.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment