Thursday, January 14, 2010

I kind of like salt

So the city of New York is at it again. Last time they said no more trans fat. It was a pretty big blow to the restaurant industry in the city. I remember being at cooking school at the time and everyone being up in arms about the repercussions. Shockingly Americans are still fat even though they can't get trans fatty filled foods in New York City. Well now the city has decided that controlling salty foods is a good idea. They are asking food manufacturers and restaurants to cut 25% of the salt content out of their food.

I am all for healthier eating, but when the government starts to push healthier eating I have to wonder. I guess the real question is, is this working. Did the ban on trans fats really make the people of NYC and everyone who visited NYC healthier?

I don't think anyone really knows, but what we do know is that Americans are still fat. It's kind of like someone who smokes. Back in the 1950s smoking was considered perfectly fine. There wasn't a million studies and plenty of proof that smoking caused lung cancer. Today we know all of this stuff and charge $8 a pack for cigarettes that are full of warning labels (you are going to kill yourself if you consume this product), but people still smoke. All of that government intervention really didn't do very much.

Going out to McDonalds every day to eat a big mac and fries will kill you just as fast as cigarettes will. If you didn't know that already, then I'm sorry to bust your bubble. Oh and the tooth fairy isn't real, but your mom was very adept at getting the tooth out and the money under your pillow. Go mom!

I love salt. I love salty foods. If you can't appreciate a good salty potato chip, then you probably have no taste buds. By using salt like sea salt, which has more of that salty flavor, you can use less salt without over dosing on sodium. Processed foods are high in sodium no matter how you cut it. By making food yourself, you will use probably half the salt and never know the difference. You might even notice that you don't feel the need to chug a gallon of water after eating it. The government isn't going to make Americans healthier; Americans are going to have to make Americans healthier by making smarter choices.

I am a big sweet and salty fan and all of this salt talk is making me hungry for some of that chocolate bar I got for my birthday. Thank goodness my friend did not just send a "Call me" note. It's almost 10 am, which is obviously the perfect time for some morning chocolate. And for the record, the day of the city of New York decides that all chocolate should have 25% less sugar in it, will be the day I take part in that right to peacefully protest or not so peacefully. No one messes with my right to eat chocolate that taste good.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment