Saturday, January 30, 2010

baby it's cold outside






When I was 15, maybe 16, I went skiing. Shockingly I wasn't half bad, and if it wasn't one of the most expensive hobbies known to man, it might have been a sport that I could have been half decent in. Anyway the most important part of this story is that I wore one pair of gloves. By lunch time my fingers hurt as they were thawing out, and by the time I was getting ready to leave they were puffy and retaining water. They went back to normal, and I assumed my flirting with frostbite was behind me. Turns out once you flirt with frostbite your fingers are never the same again. I need two pairs of gloves and once my hands start to get cold I'm in trouble. They hurt and ache and take a long while to warm up.

Living in Boston quite possibly aggrivates the situation. The windchill has been in the negatives every night and like I mentioned yesterday our house isn't really in the well insulated category. Once I've put on a few layers of shirts and pants there is really nothing left to do, but make something that will warm me up from the inside. Hot chocolate does an amazing job, and tea does too, now that I figured out that if I put it in a travel mug it will stay warmer longer. I know that seems a little bit of a silly thought, but how often do you consider using a travel mug in your house? I'm telling you, it will change your life.

A nice warm pot of potato soup will warm me up for days. I have been dreaming about it ever since my roommate from Oregon posted something on her facebook about it. Matt wanted to make steak for dinner last night, and I wanted soup. We pretty much had a three course meal. It was wonderful and terribly fancy. This soup is so easy and takes maybe 45 minutes to make.

Potato Soup and a warmer tummy:
2-3 slices of bacon – Fry them up in the pot you're going to make the soup in.
Remove the bacon. Add 3 medium potatos peeled and cubed, 2 stalks celery chopped, 2 medium carrots diced, 1 small onion diced, 1tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
Cook with a cup of water for 15 minutes. Combine 2 tbsp. flour with 2 cups milk. Add to potatoes. Heat until boils. Ok that's what the recipe says, but mom said to try not to let it boil, or it will form a skin. Crumble the bacon and serve on top.

This pot makes enough for a family of 5, or a few good meals for someone living on their own. My mom has tried to make it with turkey bacon and it just does not turn out nearly as good. The fat in the bacon really makes the soup. It's hardcore winter out there, which means think like an eskimo. Just replace the seal fat for bacon. Your world will be a happy place.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment