Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This one's for the tacos

Sunday night Glen Bell Jr. passed away. I know his name by heart now, because I have been trying to write this post since then. Glen Bell Jr. was the founder of Taco Bell. I have been having so much trouble writing this post, because I am not a fan of Taco Bell. I think their meat tastes like paste and talk about salt; Taco Bell uses salt like it's going out of style.

Those are not the things one really should put in a post about the poor guy dying. I mean this guy was probably a great guy. He brought Mexican food into the daring world of fast food. There aren't many fast food chains that have made it big time. Most Americans could name all of them pretty easily. Taco Bell wasn't another burger joint. They were something new. Yes they may use meat paste and a lot of salt, but one guy saw a need and filled it. Way to go Glen, way to go!

Ok now that was nice and kind, so I have to say something about Taco Bell. Please pardon me Mr. Bell Jr., for just a moment while I rant.

I think it was about 2 weeks ago that I saw the ad. I honestly thought it was a joke. Healthy and Taco Bell seemed super silly. McDonalds added salads a few years back and Wendys followed. Thankfully they got over it. They still sell salads, but I don't know of many people that see those salads as truly healthy options. It's just a silly thing to even think.

Well Taco Bell has decided to create a Drive-Thru diet. I don't know what marketing group created the name of this "diet" or even thought of something this ridiculous. When Glen Bell Jr. started Taco Bell, I don't think he ever thought his concept would lead to diet foods. It is almost as ridiculous as the Subway diet. Dear Jared, eating subs every day is not at all good for you. Let's be honest eating anything fast food related every day is probably not good for you.

Diets are everywhere right now. Everyone is trying to lose a few pounds and most food related companies are trying to get business by making customers think that their food will be the thing that will wipe away the pounds. It's all about money. Well Taco Bell after the loss of your founding father, I think it's time to give up on the diet scheme, go retro like Pepsi, and bring back that chihuaha. Those really were the best commercials; they even made me want to grab some meat paste for lunch.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment