Thursday, January 7, 2010

So this is what food poisoning looks like


Fried chicken and grits may sound like good ideas. They may seem super tasty. Well I can't say grits ever seemed super tasty to me, but I was looking forward to some good Southern food. Bob you can come looking for my mom; we're leaving for tomorrow and yes we're in the South.

Anyway on this trip I came to the very real understanding that I don't like some of this Southern food that I was so excited about. The fried green tomatoes kind of tasted like fried green pickles. The gravy on the mashed potatoes I ate yesterday tasted like creamy salt. I am all buttered out and I didn't even get to Paula Dean's restaurant.

I may have just eaten at the worst places in the South. It is possible that these fried green tomatoes you are looking at are just an awful example of true Southern food. I really don't know. I do know that I was raised on food that was normally not fried in oil and, while my mother was a big salt fan, did not taste like salt water. My theory is that I was just not raised to like Southern food. I was raised to appreciate good food and maybe the places I ate over vacation just weren't A+ restaurants. It is possible. All I know is that I was not a fan.

No one was a fan of the tomatoes my sister took a lovely picture of. Uncle Bud felt sick first, then me and then everyone else admitted to feeling a little nauseous. Food poisoning? I really don't like making harsh statements without reasoning, and no one was violently ill, just bad tummy aches.

Tomorrow we leave the frigid South and head back to the frigid Pennsylvania. I am not really sure what I will like better, but I can say that I will be happy to be eating normal food again. I think salads for a good week might bring my body back to life.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment