Monday, January 11, 2010

Out with a bang

In honor of my last few days as a careless 21 year old, my computer screen went completely black. It was still performing its normal functions; it just decided it needed a little bit of privacy, so I was not allowed to be involved. Considering that my entire life was somewhere encoded inside the newly self-conscious machine, I called Dell. Well actually I called India, because as you might already know Dell ships all of its calls out to India. I have met some very nice Indian people in my 21 years of life; however I have never spoken to a nice Indian when trying to deal with a problem with Dell. The last time I called Dell I had an Indian man tell me to go get a soda while he took extra long to process my order. I emailed the highest executive's email I could find and made sure that they understood that Puna or Unjab or whatever his name was should be fired. Mean? Irrational? A little over-dramatic? Oh yes I was all of those things and more. I am just not very fond of the Indian snarkyness I am normally greeted with when I call about a computer emergency.

Patricia-but-you-can-call-me-Pat did nothing to change my views. She told me to watch my computer for two days after installing something and then letting her know if there was still a problem. Oh yes because I had time for that. I NEED MY COMPUTER TO BREATHE PROPERLY LADY; I LIVE IN AMERICA, NOT INDIA!!! Poor poor Patricia-but-you-can-call-me-Pat. Luckily enough she caught on about the fifth time she silenced me when my computer was thinking and I yelled HELLO HELLO ARE YOU THERE? I really had nothing new to tell her, but I think she got the message that I was an annoying American and should be given what I want. Mission Accomplished! Now I am waiting for an American to come and pretty much replace my whole computer. Well it might not be an American, but if Patricia-but-you-can-call-me-Pat shows up I might allow my computer's self-conscious tendencies to persist for a while longer.

As if the computer was not enough, this morning I found out that I should have sent in my drivers license renewal out 3 weeks ago so I could get my picture taken before I left. Now I get to go into the place and cry to them and beg them to let me take my picture, because I can't get on the plane without my drivers license renewed. AND I tried to get a prescription refilled at Walmart, but the woman thought that a prescription that was from June 2009 and had 3 more refills expired after a year and a year, according to her, was January 1st 2010. What is wrong with this picture? Maybe I should call up Patricia-but-you-can-call-me-Pat. I bet she'd have a thrilling commentary on the situation.

So now I am computerless, one day late taking my prescription, and in the last few days of my careless 21s I wasted 2 hours talking to India. There is however one bright note. I received a package today from a very good friend. I am hoping that she hasn't forgotten my love/need of chocolate and has included a giant bar of Hersheys chocolate bar as she has done with all of my gifts since I met her during my Oregon excursion. Of course she might have just sent me a package with a letter in it that says "WHERE ARE YOU?" I would probably deserve that gift more since I have been horrible and have disappeared from most of my friends since I have been home. Please help it be a chocolate bar!

In all honesty 21 was not a careless year at all. I have a feeling 22 won't be either. The solution: stock up on chocolate like it's Y2K and the green bean aisle has already been emptied. Tomorrow I'll post the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing recipe. It may not be your birthday Wednesday, but I am sure you could use a little treat. Make cupcakes and freeze some, so you can pretend its your birthday all through the winter months.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment