Thursday, November 5, 2009

You're Not Safe

I am sad to say that when I read in an article that a study has found unhealthy amounts of BPA in organic canned foods I might have giggled a little. Ok I'm not really sad to say it, more like I felt a twinge of guilt during the giggle.

In case you're wondering, BPA is the stuff in water bottles and plastic containers that's not supposed to be good for you. When the first studies about BPA came out, everyone was warned not to reuse plastic water bottles. I guess they use this stuff for? I'm really not sure, but it's used in canned foods too supposedly.

The manufacturers are telling us that BPA is relatively safe in small quantities, so I'm really not writing this post to make you run away to a vegetarian farm in Mexico. I guess this just made me realize that we don't know everything. More importantly we can't know everything.

That broccoli you buy might have e.coli on it just waiting to make your body sick. The cookie dough you sneak a bite of might be the healthiest thing you eat all day. You just really never know.

Organic food bothers me which was why I might have giggled a little when reading the article. The mass production of organic has pretty much left it in exactly the same playing field as the potato that makes those McDonalds fries. Yes Whole Foods was the end of the world as the small farmers knew it. I know they do bring in local produce every now and then, but the only thing that makes the bag of frozen broccoli different from the one at Shaws is the price tag.

This new study that shows high BPA levels in canned food just proves that the organic industry has become greedy. They came in when it became hip and cool to eat healthy, and have turned what might have been a good thing into what is still a harmful thing that makes a lot of money.

I didn't eat anything that was healthy or organic today. Hopefully it didn't have anything harmful in it. I made an omelet with cheese and ham and adobo. It was amazing and cooked and eaten in 15 minutes. Honestly it was the best idea I had all day.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment