Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey

The pilgrims came to America and Pocahontas fell in love with John Smith and then they all gathered together for one giant Thanksgiving Day feast. The Indians (not to be mistaken for India, Indians...oh Columbus how you messed up) brought corn and the pilgrims killed a turkey and every was all sorts of happy.

Yeah ok Walt Disney died a long time ago, so I hope you don't pretend that the first Thanksgiving really happened like that at all. Matt believes in Disney and is going to read this and call me up immediately to tell me that he thought John Smith did fall in love with Pocahontas; the truth hurts folks. The pilgrims did have a harvest feast, you know they ate before they spent the winter starving. Boy I don't ever wish I lived during that period of American history.

President George Washington declared a National Day of Thanks. Good old Thomas Jefferson was not into the whole thanking for the bounty thing and nixed the idea. President Lincoln picked up the torch and named a national day of thanks; every other president after him declared the day of thanks, and hello 2009 Thanksgiving Day.

There is no Thanksgiving without a turkey. Lets be honest, it's probably the only time of year that you actually eat a turkey. I'm not sure why this is. Turkey's are such yummy yummy things.

We roast our turkeys. My mom makes the best turkey ever. She has had a lot of practice. We have a over 30 people for Thanksgiving every year. The number grows every year with the addition of boyfriends and girlfriends and wives and husbands. Everyone brings a side or dessert and my mom makes the turkey. This is one monstrous bird that feeds us all, and every year all of my Titis argue over who is going to carve the bird.

I love my mom for doing this every year. She taught me that there are never too many people at a holiday celebration. She also taught me how to be a wonderful hostess, cleaning up and minding all of the dishes. She also taught me that the hostess always eats last and probably will end up sitting on the floor. Do you realize how many people never get these lesson? Yeah my mom's the best.

There are a few things standing in the way of me and Thanksgiving. Classes tomorrow, heading to Providence with Matt, and then the flight to P-izzle. That turkey is calling my name.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment