Saturday, November 7, 2009

Wilbur where art thou?




Matt loves coupons. When I say love, I really mean he'd probably rather have a coupon than a massage. Well ok maybe I'm over exaggerating; he'd want the coupon and the massage. Somehow he snaggled a coupon even I was excited about. Wendys was giving away (FO FREE) their new bacon sandwiches with a purchase of a small fries and a small drink. So not totally free, but these sandwiches are regularly being sold for $4-$6.

These bacon sandwiches appear to be following in the footsteps of McDonald's souped up burgers. If you recall, I was not fond of the idea and Matt was not fond of the burger. But if Wendys can do anything, they can perfect an idea McDonalds failed at achieving.

Like you can see from the pictures, these sandwiches look pretty impressive. They are on a nice seeded bun with fresh looking foliage and bacon. I'm not a big foliage fan on my burgers, but it looks pretty when they put it there. I got the Bacon Deluxe Single and Matt got the Baconator or the Bacon Deluxe Double. I guess they assume if you get the double you're only interested in the meat, because his sandwich was devoid of foliage.

This bacon came from one fine pig. It's thick and chewy. It doesn't squish in your mouth like most fast food bacon does. There was enough bacon on the sandwich that the single I had seemed to have as much meat as a double burger. I was full about half way through, but it wasn't that "ugh so much grease soooo muchhhh greaaaaaaaaaaaase" feeling one gets from visiting those double arches. I felt like I had eaten a burger twice the size at TGI Fridays (which I would have probably paid $10 for).

The burger wasn't extra large or anything fancy. Wendys makes good burgers; there was no need to fiddle with it. Matt was a new fan to Wendys Ketchup and Mayo on the burger. I was always a fan, but he was definitely basking in the deliciousness of it.

Would I have paid the price tag for this burger? Matt's double deluxe baconator with fries and a drink would run you $7.36. That's expensive. As I was considering the burger, I found myself much happier about it than I thought I would have been. The problem is, I got it for free. If I had paid the hefty price tag, I don't know if I would have been as thrilled.

Ok so lets take a step back. The burger filled me up just like a burger at a regular sit down restaurant. The fries were just a nice side, but completely unnecessary. If you're looking for a treat, but don't want to have to pay for tip and a drink ($7.36 for sandwich, fries, and a drink) I think it's a great option. This sandwich is going to fill you up. It really is a fresh tasting treat. You will be surprised you are sitting in a fast food restaurant when you open the box (yes it actually comes in a box).

I know I railed on McDonalds for making an expensive burger during a recession, but they just did it all wrong. Advertising was done with giant billboards; I didn't get a free coupon to try a sandwich. Their sandwich just didn't taste all that good, and it still gave you that ball-o-grease feeling.

Wendys made bacon burgers leave me feel full and not like my face was about to break out. That is impressive. They are a little pricey, but they'll fill you up. Bring them home and put them on a plate if you are worried you'll miss that "going out to a restaurant" feeling. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment