Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich wow

"It tastes so fine just anytime on a plane in a car with a bowl of caviar. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich yeah, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it's a meal so fine, it's paradise anytime, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich yeahhhhhh"

I think it was about 6 months into our relationship that I sang the Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich song to Matt. When I was little, we listened to Patch the Pirate tapes in the car. My poor parents could probably sing every song by heart. This song was one of my especially dearest songs. I mean who could not love an ode to pb&j.

Unfortunately because of peanut free schools, many children don't even have the opportunity to squish a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and gobble it down during lunch time. This is a travesty. My brother ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day for probably 3 years. I am not that devoted, but there really is nothing like digging into your bag and seeing that sweet and nutty sandwich most likely a little squished waiting for you. It is the quintessential lunch time treat. I would go as far as saying that it is my favorite lunch.

There are plenty of debates as to how to make the perfect pb&j sandwich. Matt is a big fan of crunchy peanut butter. He also keeps his peanut butter in the fridge (yeah he's a weirdo). I grew up on smooth Skippy peanut butter. We kept it in the cabinets, so it was always smooth and spreadable. Skippy isn't too sweet and I just can't do crunchy. I like my sandwiches to be squishy and soft.

I grew up on grape jelly. Now I buy whatever happens to be in my fridge. Of course the good old grape and Skippy is the only sandwich that takes me back to those elementary school days.

Chips are definitely the only acceptable side to a pb&j. It is the perfect salty to the semi-sweet side.

I of course understand why some school are now peanut free, but pushing out the staple of American lunches is just so mean. Matt and I would probably be at a loss for lunch if we couldn't eat our lunches of pb&j. Not only is it probably one of the cheapest lunches, but it's also just so tasty. I'm terribly sorry if you don't get this. It's an acquired taste.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment