Monday, November 9, 2009

WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN RUB!!!




Have I ever told you that Matt likes to save money. Save money might be an understatement, because in all reality Matt just hates spending money. If there is some way that he could get by never spending money, Matt would be in paradise. He'd probably get an offer to join Eve in the Garden of Eden and say, "No thanks, living over here is free."

Anyway Matt has been raving about the ribs his dad's friend made when we were up last time. He made them with a rub, and Matt was in love. I wasn't as big of a fan, because I like my ribs moist. I knew we had extra time today, so I suggested to Matt that we make ribs. I had a whole container of sauce and was all ready to just pop the ribs in the crockpot before I left for class. Matt was not so into it. He decided we needed a dry rub.

I suggested we buy a rub. I mean if we were going to eat dry rub ribs, we might as well eat good dry rub ribs. BUT Matt decided that we already had the ingredients that went into a dry rub. "It's cheaper. We'll just do it ourselves." I was skeptical.

Boy was I wrong. Matt just started adding random things in my cupboard into a bowl. A little bit of paprika. A dash of cayenne. Some salt and pepper. Adobo of course. Add in some sazon. And a little dried garlic. It looked like a happy shade of red and smelled pretty strong.

We put the ribs in aluminum foil like you can see from the picture. Matt started the rubbing. He massaged that meat like it was nobodies business. It was definitely his baby and he looked on worried. I knew that look well. Anytime I was trying a new dessert I have that look. It's like you are willing the meal to taste good. PLEASE TASTE GOOD! PLEASE TASTE GOOD! I'LL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!

We put the aluminum foil packet into the 13x9 pan. This made the clean up process so easy. There was a little juice in the pan, but it wasn't all baked on and gross. We baked the ribs at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours and then I turned the oven up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit to speed up the process. I was getting impatient.

The ribs were juicy and tasty. The rub was so flavorful, but it wasn't at all overpowerful. Matt won me over. The ribs he made were amazing and we didn't buy a rub. Yeah we saved some money. I'm ok with it as long as all of our meals taste as amazing as this one tonight. Oh and did I mention the ribs were a packet that we froze from our $.99 a pound short ribs. Yeah Matt would totally turn down the Garden of Eden for this.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment