Monday, November 16, 2009

Ho Ho Holidays

Whether you like it or not the holiday season has been thrown at us. I say thrown at us, because it would be foolish to say that it's actually time for the holiday season. There were Christmas ornaments in Target at the end of September. Screaming WHAT HAPPENED TO FALL is entirely useless, because it's gone, disappeared, poof. Whining, crying, and updating your facebook status every two seconds to inform your friends that you are mad, that Thanksgiving has once again gone as a forgotten holiday, is useless. I tried. It really doesn't make you feel any better.

The only other option is to embrace it. They're already selling eggnog in the stores, embrace it, if you like eggnog; I'm not a fan. I am a fan of hot chocolate and the movie Eloise at Christmastime. I thought that it might be awful to enjoy these things before Thanksgiving. Shockingly I did not grow elf ears or a Santa hat, and the movie and hot chocolate were just as good as it would be on the night before Christmas.

Of course embracing Christmas is much more than embracing cheap Christmas movies and night time treats. Embracing Christmas is embracing winter. Winter means warm homey foods, an extra 10 lbs, and of course a warm yummy apple crisp. You might remember the apple crisp I spoke of back in October. I believe I called it the best apple crisp ever. Well I did it one better. I had bought 4 apples and 4 pears at the grocery store a long time ago. Well the apples were longer than the pears. Matt left them in his fridge and forgot about them when he was supposed to be bringing them up to me so I would have fruit to consume. Oh Matthew! I personally think he did it on purpose so that when I finally got the apples I would be over my fruit kick and I would turn them into a yummy baked good.

Since I'm not fond of yummy apple baked goods, I decided adding a few pears in the mix might make the whole thing a lot better. Boy was I right. I love how that sounds. Don't you? In all fairness the apple crisp topping is the best ever. You might be able to put it on dog poo and make it taste good. Ok maybe not dog poo, but definitely apples and pears.

I had every intention of making a homey meal of Cornish game hens and carrots and potatoes tonight. Unfortunately I forgot to take them out of the freezer in time, so now that is going to have to be tomorrow's meal.

That boyfriend who forgot my apples in his fridge conveniently had two burgers ready for dinner. I think I already mentioned that extra 10 lbs that always comes with winter. The cold weather just makes you hungry for the fattyness. I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling it goes back to the native Americans eating animal fat to stay warm. Not sure if that really happened, but I seem to remember something about it in American history class.

Tonight's low is 34 degrees Fahrenheit. It's time for winter folks. Gain the 10 lbs wisely. I'm thinking roast chickens, apple crisps, and maybe a little bit of bacon on the side.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment