Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feeding men, understanding men, oh boy it's been a long day

I spent a marvelous 35 minutes on the phone today with Rhonda Ricardo, author of Cherries Over Quicksand, about her book and what she has learned from speaking to men all over the country about their relationships. I promise I will be writing an article and I will be informing you all, but for right now let's just say she suggested getting your man a calendar for Valentines Day. I bet they're really cheap now that it's February already, but from what I remember from elementary school, calendars don't taste nearly as good as chocolate covered strawberries.

Speaking of strawberries Valentine's Day is only a few weeks away and women and men everywhere are probably already starting to freak out. Do I get the DVD card from Hallmark or do I spend a week's salary on dinner in a cramped restaurant? I'm not freaking out, because I have already made plans and bought construction paper to make some fabulous Valentine's Day cards. I'm thinking, paired with some ganache and strawberries, it will be a fabulous day. Of course guys are even easier to please than me. Guys can be pleased with one simple thing.

BACON!!!!

This may not apply to all men, but it has applied to all men that I have met. When I posed the question of what do men want on facebook, Rob, the Sous Chef at Brookside Country Club, answered a woman who knows where to find the best bacon. I can not stress enough how important bacon really is to a red blooded American male. Matt ate a soup made purely of vegetables, because it had bacon fat in it. This is the guy who will only eat broccoli if I make it the way his mom makes it with garlic and butter.

Instead of going out and sitting in a cramped restaurant with all of the other "happy" couples this year just make dinner. Start with some of the amazing potato soup a few posts down.

Make meatballs. I would say use turkey or ground beef, but it is Valentine's Day so just go with the beef. Mix in an egg, some milk, breadcrumbs, and some parmesan cheese. Form them into balls and either place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 or fry in a frying pan. I'm not a real sauce kind of girl, so buy the sauce that looks the yummiest. Pour the sauce into a pot and heat with the finished meatballs. Cook some spaghetti, and make it a Lady and the Tramp kind of night with one giant plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

Finish the night off with a lovely bowl of ganache and some fresh strawberries. Ganache is so easy to make. Heat a cup of heavy cream till it boils. Pour over a cup of chocolate chips or whatever kind of chocolate you like best. Whisk from the center until the chocolate and the cream have formed one happy gooey chocolate mixture. Serve that warm with the strawberries. You will never go back to those chocolate covered strawberries at the candy store again.

Maybe save some bacon from the soup and try dipping it in the ganache. Matt was a big fan of chocolate covered bacon. I not so much. I told you. It's a guy thing. I pride myself in being able to become almost a man while working in a kitchen, but I don't think women can really appreciate the amazingness of bacon like men can. Gotta love that mysterious, or maybe not so mysterious Y chromosome.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment