Sunday, February 7, 2010

And the countdown is on

In case you were so busy buying the chips and salsa and making the wings for your Super Bowl party - I am really not at all sure why wings became the "it" thing this year to make for the Super Bowl. I do have an amazing recipe for parmesan cheese wings, but you've all made your wings. I'll save that for another day. - Like I was saying, in case you were too busy focusing on the Saints/Colts showdown, next Sunday is Valentine's Day.

Last night I listened to a woman in a store talk about how it was just another Sunday and how she and her boyfriend had decided to just treat it like any other Sunday. If that man brings her a dozen red roses, I bet she wouldn't complain. But that's besides the point. Most men would be lying if they said they could care less about the Super Bowl and would rather just treat it like a regular Sunday with Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters on the agenda. Most women would be lying if they said they could care less about Valentine's Day.

I have already talked about knowing your significant other's chocolate preference. - No dark for us milk girls! - You also have a perfect spaghetti and meatball meal that you can make. It is super easy and would be a fabulous suprise for any Valentine's Day meal. As Matt and I were discussing yesterday, all of these things are wonderful, but it's that silly gift that you feel you have to get that makes things a tad bit tricky and uber stressful.

After realizing that my boyfriend didn't own a non-stick pan, I have come to the conclusion that kitchen gadgets never go out of style. My parents who have been married for 25 years don't have a good can opener. Unfortunately for my mom I already solved this problem. Maybe this is why Matt says I'm so hard to shop for. I tend to buy the things I need. Oops!

Anyway there are some very cool foodie gifts this V-day that I think are definite must-haves. Lucinda Scala Quinn's new book Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys looks AMAZING!!! It would be a great gift for the guy in your life, or for the lady who's always looking for new recipes and bacon-filled meals.

I am also a huge fan of all of the adorable little animal gadgets at Target. I don't know if you've ever wandered toward the kitchen gadget side of Target, but you know you've always wanted a Toucan pizza cutter. I mean this stuff is just adorable.

For the very serious cook in your life a copy of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking 1 or 2 would really bring a HUGE smile on the day of love. I'm normally not a huge cookbook person, but this is the bible of French cooking. And Julia and her wonderful self has come back like 80s fashion; you'd be so in for buying it.

Think a little more creative this year for V-day. Think about the basic things that might make your love's life a little easier. And think of something that would keep on giving all year. Pretty red Kitchen Aid mixers are always welcome. What says love more than a beautiful red mixer?

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment