Friday, September 11, 2009

Toto we're not in Kansas anymore

Well I'm finally back at school and away from home and my mom's meals. I went shopping at Trader Joes with my mom this morning as my sister and dad waited at the apartment for the Comcast guy. It was kind of sad walking to a store where I get my weekly dose of bread and chili and potstickers with my mom, who will not be there during all of the rest of those weekly trips. Ugh it was so sad that I actually started tearing up just typing that.

I would love to be able to eat something warm, homey, and salty right now; but I am not going to ruin my "no ramen" campaign on the first night. Some tea and potato chips will have to do the trick. I also have some hummus and snacky things, so I should be able to survive till Matt brings up my groceries on Monday.

Shopping in Boston is expensive. When I say expensive, I mean that I have looked at Shaw's adds with their sale items on them from Providence and Boston, and the Boston adds have the same food for at least 20 cents more. Shaws is of course more expensive than other grocery stores; the difference between the food I buy at the grocery store Matt and I go to compared to the Shaws in Boston is probably close to $1 difference for most things. Times are tough. I am a college student who saved all of my summer salary just to survive in Boston for the school year, so every dollar needs to go far. I love food and I love to splurge on food, but why splurge because of a high cost of living in the city that I live; I'd rather splurge because the food I'm buying is really good. I travel an hour to go grocery shopping and I save a lot of money(thankfully my wonderful boyfriend drives my food up to the apartment, so I don't ever have to travel on a train with all of those groceries).

Here I go into the crazy world of Boston and school and apartment life. The ramen will be avoided and the drama will most likely be rampant. Tomorrow I'll be in Providence for groceries and supposedly I am missing out on life because I have never had Papa Gino's pizza. I'll let you know if I have really been missing anything or if this New England chain is just as disappointing as the fact that my family is driving back home and I won't get to see them till November.

Well enough sadness. I'm hopeful that Papa Gino's is as mind-blowing as Matt keeps telling me. I'll be letting you all know very soon.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment