Sunday, September 20, 2009

DISHES

What is the one part of cooking that almost everyone hates, can't normally be avoided without causing another dirty job, and tends to make the cooking experience last so much longer? You guessed it and I told you before we even started, dishes. They are miserable things aren't they? I don't have a dishwasher and even if I did I probably wouldn't use it because I would end up paying even more in electricity than I already do.

Dirty dishes really are a miserable chore,especially when you're eating alone; or if you're like me and you're eating with someone who despises dishes so much he would rather scrub your toilet. I kind of think that the repugnance of dishes is one of the main reasons why 20 somethings turn to Kraft Easy Mac, frozen meals, or the dreaded Ramen Noodle. It is just so much easier to open a box and throw something on a pan, and in all honesty it involves less dishes.

My list on i-google right now is and I quote "Don't go to bed with dishes in the sink." "Don't go to bed with a messy room." "Maybe just don't go to bed." It really is one of my serious goals to not wake up to a full sink of dishes. It just brings you down. You wake up, you go to make your breakfast, and right there staring you in the face is yesterday. Yesterday's crusty food left on yesterday's now crusty dishes. Even if they aren't my dishes I can sense the stress level rising as I look over at the pile.

It has been a week of school and I have actually never gone to sleep with a full sink of dishes. Yay me!!! Yeah whatever it's not a big deal, but after a week of doing it I really feel like my days just start better. It also helps the ending part of the day. Doing dishes and cleaning up before bed really can make you sleepy.

I know most of you are probably using your dishwashers and laughing at me and my goals, but I am quite honestly sick of lists of things to do that involve philosophy and history and icky homework. Living day to day and reducing stress is about small goals. Dishes are such a wonderful small goals and they tend to crop up every single day. I guess that means I'm eating food, which is a good thing.

I am going to continue my procrastination and avoidance of Kant and his eye drooping philosophies by going out and trying to buy ingredients for bagels. Yes I said bagels. I made them at school and I really want to try to make them tomorrow when Matt is here. Why bagels? I feel like maybe it would be a fun thing to make and I'm kind of curious if it might even save me some money if I can manage to make my own bagels to eat for breakfast every morning. Matt's also been on my case about the fact that he's never eaten my mind altering soft pretzels. I want to make them with him, but I kind of want to try something new too. So here goes nothing, well no Kant at least, don't worry I'll let you know all about it.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment