Thursday, September 24, 2009

how very Un-American of me

I don't like apple pie. Scowl, argue, convince all you want; I will never like apple pie. I think it's a texture thing and an "I don't like cooked apples thing." I will make apple pies till my arms fall off; I just don't like eating them.

Now before you go all self righteous and hometown American on me, I know that apple pie is supposed to be an American instituetion and I know that EVERYONE likes apple pie(suposedly). I also know that I have some hometown blood in me and the only part I like about an apple pie is the crust. I am a purist when it comes to apples. I like them raw and unaltered, and I prefer the more sour firm varieties. Give me a hard crispy apple and I'll be a happy girl.

I suppose my lack of interest in cooked apples is why I tend to avoid fall desserts. They're ok, but too often they are just full of apples. I'll make them for other people, but I'm just never enthused by them.

I was rumaging through recipes tonight after passing my ethics test and avoiding my philosophy reading and I found this beautiful recipe that reminded me why I loved winter. A few winters ago I volunteered at The Fairmont Coply Hotel in Boston for this visiting chef thing they were doing. Their banquet chef was brilliant, and he had this recipe that symbolized what everyone needs in February in Boston.

Lemon Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Blood Oranges:

1.5 teaspoons of gelatin - 4 sheets if you are using the sheet variety
1/2 cup of sugar
1 lemon
1.25 cups of heavy cream
1.75 cups of buttermilk(if you are not into buying buttermilk since you won't use it for anything else you can make sour milk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk.)

3 blood oranges
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of sugar
A coupld of grinds of black pepper

Disolve the gelatin in 1 tablespoon of cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften. If you're using the sheets just melt it in the microwave.

Grate the lemon rind and add it with the sugar to the cream in a small sauce pan. Gently heat until a bare simmer. Add the gelatin and stir to dissolve. Add buttermilk and 1 tablesppon of lemon juice. Strain and pour into small molds(cups, bowls, whatever you think would create a fun shape). Chill thoroughly until set.

Grab the blood oranges. You're going to make supreme cuts. Cut off the skin of the orange by cutting off the ends of the orange and then cutting down the fruit making sure to take off all of the white part. You can probably see now the seperate segments. Cut the fruit part out of each segment, so you'll have a perfect piece of an orange. Combine the vinegar, sugar, and peper and toss gently. Let this sit for about 30 minutes.

Serve the dessert by turning out the panna cotta out of the molds. Add some of the oranges around the panna cotta. It is the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Blood oranges normally start showing up in stores around January/February and in the middle of winter there really is nothing like the bright flavors it contains.

I know winter is not here yet and you're all just getting ready to enjoy your apples and cinnamin and bland pumpkin pies. My Puerto Rican self was just so excited about the thought of tropical fruits and winter that I couldn't help but share.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment