Thursday, September 3, 2009

And over here is a biscuit that lasts 2 minutes in boiling hot water

The UK's Daily Post had an article about this chef who they made out to be a hero who had come up with a top secret formula that made this biscuit strong enough to last 2 minutes in hot water. Gorilla glue wants their job back. I mean seriously why in the world would you want something that strong, and would I break my teeth on it? No it's silly to ask if I would break a tooth on it, because I feel like it would. The shocking thing is that people actually think they taste good. This is the UK so maybe they are living up to their reputation of enjoying the bland and rock hard.

I kind of remember learning American History(during 1st to 6th grade we hardly ever got past WW1 in American History so I learned a lot about the Pilgrims and their journey). We had a discussion of the food they ate and I believe something called hard tack was on the menu(or what fits in the boat). I feel like this biscuit probably is a close resemblance to that.

Maybe this biscuit isn't as hard as I am imagining, but I just can't imagine that it tastes good. The last record holder for longest time in tea without crumbling was a chocolate digestive at around 30 seconds. If you haven't been to Europe a digestive is this cookie thing that is pretty much fiber. They actually taste pretty good. I think my dad brought back at least 3 boxes when we visited Prague. They are pretty hard and compact, so I feel like a cookie should reasonably last 30 seconds or less.

If you are not a teetotaler like myself, you might not understand the significance of cookies in tea. There really is nothing quite like it. To sit with a biscotti and dunk it in till it is soft and then drink the tea with it. The only unpleasant part of this experience is the crumbs of the cookie that end up at the bottom of the cup. They really gross me out. I guess the English know their tea and the crumbs probably bother them too, but I feel like there is one thing this biscuit might be falling short of(besides my calling it tasteless and hard as a rock). For a cookie to be a good dipping cookie it has to be porous enough for the tea to soak in a little bit. With the gorilla glue cookie I feel like it is possibly impervious water which kind of defeats the point of dipping it.

All of this cookie and tea talk has given me a hankering to make biscotti and to go to England so I can actually try this biscuit. Supposedly the chef who invented the cookie didn't think that it would be at all profitable or sell(hmmm red flag?), so there was really no intention to market it until someone said it was good. I'm thinking that now that I am his biggest hater he should send me a batch. It's just a thought.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment