Monday, May 11, 2009

Recipes Recipes Recipes

I have been completely tearing everything in my room apart to try to create a little bit of space to store all of my things. In the midst of this process I have collided with my notebooks and scraps of paper and full binders of recipes. It was so daunting to look at all of the recipes that, I am ashamed to say, I simply put them back into one big container.

Recipes and I go way back, back to the day my mom let me look through her cookbooks and said I could make whatever we had the ingredients for. I love trying new recipes, I love when a recipe is beyond all expectation, but I more importantly love going back to my classic recipes that I keep on my computer and on recipe card close-by. This is probably why I don't feel very motivated to clean out the recipes that I found today. They were all excellent recipes and I know that one day I will need to know how to make chocolate lava cake and will spend most of my day digging through the container, but for now I will be content knowing where my favorite recipes are stashed away.

In honor of classic recipes that I love and will never end up at the bottom of a pile of recipes I wanted to post my mom's recipe for chocolate chip applesauce cake. I recently made this cake into muffins for my final law class and they were devoured. Whether you make a cake or muffins this recipe should always remain close to the kitchen.

Chocolate Applesauce Cake:

Cream together:
1 and ½ cup sugar ½ cup shortening or vegetable oil
2 eggs

Add:
2 cup applesauce

Sift together and add:
2 cups flour 1 and ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt ½ - 2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons cocoa, heaping if desired

Pour batter into 13x9 inch pan and sprinkle with:
¼ cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour 1 cup chocolate chips
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bake 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment