Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married


              
              
               
              
               
              
               
              
               
              
               
              
               
              
               
              
 








































I am far from my wedding day but this weekend I am making a wedding cake for a friend of mine and I would like to bring you all along for the ride.

I have a degree in Baking and Pastry Arts from Johnson & Wales University, so I have made a wedding cake for a class. This is a little bit different, because real people are going to eat it and I don't have every kitchen tool and a knowledgeable chef to help me out. So here I go on my own, with you all to watch.

Tonight I got home from a day of work and I decided that I needed to bake the cakes. It is very hard to frost a cake you made that day. If the cake is warm, the butter in the icing could melt a little on the cake and the cake will not be as kind to me bumping and moving it while I frost the cake. If I had made the cake more than one or two days before I was going to frost it, I would have frozen the cakes; but because I am going to frost the cakes on Friday I will just wrap them tightly and refrigerate them.

I have an amazing recipe for chocolate cake, but vanilla really isn't my strong point, so I did some web surfing and find this wonderful recipe for white cake. I tweeked the recipe a bit and doubled it because it was only for one 9 inch round cake. This cake should fill a 13x9 inch pan, but I used it to fill the 6 inch pan and the 7 inch pan.

2 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
4 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan or a 6 inch and a 7 inch pan. Cream the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs then add the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until cake is done by the toothpick test or when you touch the top it feels firm.

I thought that this journey definitely deserved pictures. I am sure they are all pretty self explanatory, but be sure to get all of your ingredients out before you start. It will save you from having to go back and forth from the cabinet to the refigerator to the counter and back to the cabinet. In the kitchen we call this mise en place or everything in its place. I promise it will make your baking experience more efficient. The cakes are baked and perfect and will be wrapped and ready to be trimmed and frosted on Friday so be sure to check back to see the frosting process and the end result.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment