Friday, July 31, 2009

Obama goes dutch


With the economy the way it is and so many people taking pay cuts or just losing their jobs altogether, we are all looking for new ways to save some money. I can't say that any of you thought of charging guests for their meals. Thankfully the leader of our country is way ahead of you. President Obama invited the CEOs of Xerox, Coca-Cola, AT&T, and Honeywell to the White House for a meeting and a White House Staffer called each of the CEOs to find out their credit card information so they could all be charged for the cost of the food.

Last time I checked Obama wasn't from Pennsylvania, but the idea of each person paying from themselves in the PA part of the country is called "going dutch." I'm not sure how I feel about the president of the country I am a citizen of feeling that "going dutch" is not cheap and inhospitable(especially in your own house). Supposedly the reason behind this action was to avoid conflicting interests. I'm not so sure; maybe the White House needs a bailout plan and we just don't know about it.

My mom and I have been busy bees with all of the fruit that we have been acquiring lately. Our neighbor called and begged us to come and pick some of the peaches she had rotting on the tree. It was raining, but we decided that we didn't feel too wicked witch of the westy today and headed out. Once we got to our neighbor's house it was pouring. My mom and I starting grabbing the peaches like two 12 year olds stealing peaches. Every time I grabbed a peach the tree splashed me in the eye. We ended up with 2 bags of peaches, and went home to make a peach blueberry pie and blueberry muffins.

The blueberry tartlettes that I made in the picture might be a little difficult without the French tartlette pans my mom got me for my birthday last year, but you can make the same basic dessert minus the cute little crusts.

I used a coconut custard that is actually lactose free.

1 can of coconut milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of cornstarch

Pour all of the ingredients into a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat. Stir constantly, but remember cornstarch doesn't work until it boils so don't be afraid of a few lumps in the beginning. Let the mixture come to a full boil until the mixture is smooth and pure white. Pour the custard into a pie pan with a little bit of water in it. The water will keep the custard from sticking.

Once the custard is cool slide the custard out of the pan and cover the top with blueberries and mint leaves. It will be a beautiful refreshing way to spend a night with a friend. Just please don't charge your friend for the cost of the dessert. I promise it won't set you back too much.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment