Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Five burgers, guys, and a fry

Near my parents home in PA the newest burger joint Five Guys Burgers and Fries has been getting a lot of buzz. To celebrate my boyfriend's birthday we all decided to give it a try and see if all of the buzz was really worth it. Surprisingly it was.

Walking in to any restaurant for the first time can be a tad bit intimidating. This place was no exception. The burgers were listed on the board and then under it were all of the toppings. You could get a small burger or a regular burger. Then you had the regular and large fries and a drink. Well when I was up ordering I forget fries and a drink. It was just too much. I felt like I had ordered everything I possibly could as I was trying to remember whether I wanted ketchup and mustard and pickles and lettuce or onions and peppers and just mustard. It was just a lot, but thankfully my family remembered fries and there were plenty of them. I ended up with the small burger because I wasn't that hungry.

When the food came I was shocked to see that my small burger was literally the same size as their bigger burgers. The only difference was that I got one patty and the regular burgers had two. To say the least I was glad that I got a "small" burger. All of the fries were in a giant brown paper bag and we literally thought all of the fries were just poured into the bag because we couldn't see the cups they were in. They were hand cut at the place, which really made a difference in taste and texture. We introduced my boyfriend to fries with vinegar on them, and we were all so full by the end that there were two cups of fries left over. One fry split between two people would have been plenty.

My only complaint about these burgers that have won Best Of awards all over the country is that they were a tad bit dry and over done. There is a sign over the counter saying that they make all of their burgers juicy and well done, but I was a little disappointed by the dryness of the burger and the need for ketchup and mustard. I am a fan of ketchup and mustard on a burger, but when the burger needs it you know the burger is too dry.

For some strange reason the length of the name of this burger place has caused much confusion in my family. I think my mom has called it everything from Five Fries and a Burger to Five Burgers, Guys, and Fries. I don't know why Five Guys Burgers and Fries is hard to remember, but it is; so if you forget it don't feel bad.

I hope you are going out and trying all sorts of new things this summer. My boyfriend was with my family and me for a week and we had a lot of firsts for him. You don't know if you will like something until you've tried it and how will you ever know to try something unless you leave your comfort zone and visit new people and places. One of our trips to the Kutztown Folk Festival got me interested in the cooking of my PA Dutch ancestors. I'm going to be playing around with recipes for corn fritters and corn pie for the next couple of weeks so keep reading for some recipes and new things to try.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment