Friday, June 12, 2009

Sugar and butter and everything nice

Today was another cake day for me. This time I was making cakes for a retirement party and there were no pretty flowers on them. Each cake had a different icing, so by the end of the day I was covered in powdered sugar and butter. I made a regular buttercream, a chocolate buttercream, a cream cheese, and a fluffy white meringue icing. While I was making all of these I almost chuckled because every other dessert I create I meticulously use a recipe. With icing I judge by taste and texture, this might be why I felt like I was on a sugar high all day.

Some people are scared to experiment in the kitchen because they're worried it won't taste good or something will go terribly wrong. If you never try you will never know. My basic icings always have powdered or 10x sugar, butter or cream cheese (I will put crisco in my icings, but it can't be the main fat or the icing will leave a film on your mouth and that is never an appetizing thing), a little bit of milk and possibly some vanilla. If I'm making a peanut butter icing I'll definitely add peanut butter.

I love cake but there is something about icing that just makes me want to lick the beaters. I don't know who thought of taking sugar and butter and creaming them up to put them over a cake, but I would love to make that person a cupcake.

Speaking of sweets and treats I was reading an article from newkerala.com that said that there is a new study showing that married people have a higher chance of obesity than unmarried people. I guess the bad habits tend to reign in such situations and eating more meals at home also causes this problem. I'm not so sure what I feel about this study, because when I live at home I eat the same amount of food as my parents and live the same lifestyle.

Another study that I think does have some credibility said that a more moderately reduced carb diet will give you more energy throughout the day. I am a big fan of anything in moderation, especially sugar. Ok I must confess I probably eat sugar in less moderation than I eat anything else, but everyone has to have their vice.

I hope you are all going to bbqs and picnics and I hope you bring some cupcakes, with homemade icing, because you really have no excuse. Just mix some butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and anything else you think might taste good with your favorite cake recipe.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment