Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Forget the fruits and veggies they want the dyes

KSWB TV in San Diego reported that researchers are looking to the purple carrot as a natural food dye alternative to the chemical dyes that are going to need a warning label in the European Union. This whole discussion made me curious about this purple carrot business. According to the article the purple carrot has actually been around longer than the orange carrot and a google image search brought up the most gorgeous picture of a purple carrot. I know it sounds silly to say that this carrot looked gorgeous, but I can't help it the artist in me just loves colors. These carrots are just so cool looking. A little more research revealed that these carrots grow a middle eastern climate and supposedly in the Southern California climate where the organic farm that is now saving juices for testing on food dyes.

The most interesting thing that I found in my research was a little poster that was made that said the more colors you eat the more nutrients you get. This reminded me of my researching of the blood orange back in February. I love blood oranges, because I think they taste better than a regular orange; but after getting a funny look from a fellow work study I found out that they are actually better for you than their orange counterparts.

The true problem is that these more colorful options, like red peppers, are 3 or 4 times more expensive if you can find them at all. It is almost too late in the season, but there are still things that you can plant in a small garden or even in planters. Spending a few dollars on bell pepper plants and some tomato plants and you will be reaping the colorful fruit that your diet desperately needs without breaking the bank. I did find seeds for purple carrots and I'm hoping that maybe next year I'll have the time to try some of these purple carrots first hand, even if I have to start them inside.

I'm not so sure about this dye business with these fruits and veggies. I personally think that making more of these products available to the average consumer and just getting rid of all of the unnecessary dyes, natural or unnatural, in food might be a wiser choice. But the article was right when it said that people eat with their eyes. If you buy grape juice and it's not such a dark purple that you can't see through it, you will probably question whether it is really grape juice and you might even think it doesn't taste as good. It's a fact we're used to the fake stuff and we don't mind it.

I guess what I learned from all of this can be summed up in that one poster I found "The more colors you eat the healthier you will be." Just remember Doritos don't count as colorful food. I think you have to stick to the veggies and fruits.

Happy Eating!!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment